Logistics: Plan will be to leave Calgary on Friday in the early afternoon at around 2:00 PM. I have a campsite booked at the Whistlers in Jasper for Friday evening. Saturday plan is to get an alpine start to climb the East Ridge of Edith Cavell.
The climb: The E Ridge of Edith Cavell is a classic route on excellent rock with difficulties up to 5.3. We will aim to scramble 3rd and 4th class terrain and rope up for any crux sections. We will climb up the E ridge and descend down the west face (3rd class).
The rough plan will be to arrive back in Calgary late Saturday night or possibly on Sunday, depending on how long we take on the route. If we decide to camp another night on Saturday, we may be forced to drive down to the David Thompson to set up camp on Crown land (the Whistlers campground in Jasper is full on Saturday night, apart from non-reservable camping spots).
Fitness/Skill expectations: You must be prepared for a long day in the mountains on technical and exposed terrain, and fitness to ascend and descend 1700 m of gain. You should be a fairly experienced climber capable of easily climbing 5.3 terrain while roped, and you should be confident scrambling 3rd and 4th class exposed terrain. You must know how to belay and have experience cleaning trad gear.
Screening: Event attendees will be screened to ensure they have the necessary skills and experience to complete this climb. Sign-up is not first come first served, and attendees will be selected at the discretion of the trip leader.
Gear requirements: Helmet, harness, rock shoes (if needed/wanted for crux pitches), ATC, a few locking biners, double length sling, a light axe and possibly crampons (to be discussed/determined based on conditions), warm clothes, plenty of food, 2-3L of water, anything else you might need.
Cost: Event attendees will be expected to split the camping fees ($50 for the single night at Whistlers campground, possibly 2 if we find a non-reservable spot Sat night) and the cost of gas.
NOTE: This event will only run if the weather and conditions are favourable. We will not attempt it if the forecast does not look good.