This trip will be following COVID-19 precautions. You MUST pack a mask and hand sanitizer (for injuries/emergencies). You MUST be willing to maintain 2m at all times, you MUST be willing to withdraw from the event the morning of if you develop any symptoms, and there will be NO carpooling except between household members. There will also be no food or gear sharing; you need to be self-sufficient. We will be forced to stop/turn around if people are not willing to maintain precautions.
Please ensure you have read and understood the following documents:
Calgary Section Protocols
Waiver + Declaration of Health and Exposure
This will be a learning trip, aimed towards newer backcountry skiers. You do need a base level of fitness (expect ~ 700m elevation gain) and survival skiing skills (early season exits are often a spicy bobsled run). The plan is to head out for a walk at Burstall Pass, Chester Lake, Taylor Lake, Healy Pass (or similar); exact location TBD based on skill level and conditions. After getting warmed up, with our legs and heads back in the game, we'll go bury our beacons, practice probing, and chat about group/terrain management.
This is not an avalanche safety course- you are expected to have already taken AST I.
Required Items to Bring:
skis, skins, beacon (must be 3-antennae, digital),
warm clothes, daypack, lunch, water/tea, mask and
Recommended Items to Bring:
How to Get There:
To be discussed morning of
Carpool Departure Time:
Our Lady of Assumption School
School parking lot at NW corner of Sarcee-16Ave
intersection. There will be NO carpooling except
between household members; rather we are meeting to
sign waivers and ensure everyone leaves town
Please DO NOT sign up for this event if you're not willing to follow COVID-19 precautions- this is not the event for you.
Waiver: Everyone attending this event will be required to sign the
at the beginning of the event. Read the waiver carefully to ensure you fully
understand it. If possible, please print and fill it out except for
the signature fields before arriving at the event.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review our participant responsibility guidelines!
Please text if needing to cancel (and please cancel
if you develop any symptoms, regardless of the
registration cut off date)
*Cancellation Policy*: If a participant is unable to attend a paid course or trip, there will be no refund unless the participant finds a suitable replacement that is acceptable to the trip coordinator. Acceptable waiting list candidates will have priority. It will then be the participant's responsibility to recover funds from the replacement. If the coordinator cancels an event, participants get a refund (less any non-recoverable costs). Note that ACC National does not refund hut fees due to weather, delay, closures, or any other reasons. The Calgary Section of the ACC is a not for profit club and we only charge attendees what it costs us to provide courses or trips.
Trip Feedback If you have any feedback, positive or negative, concerning this trip or any other, we want to hear from you!
Click here to be directed to our "Contact Us" page and contact the appropriate Chair person or the Section Chair. This is also a simple way to make your section executive aware of any praises, suggestions or problems you may have with any area of the Calgary Section of the ACC.
Thank you for your response.
Registration for this event closed on Friday, November 27, 2020 at 09:00 PM.