** UPDATE May 3, 2018: Seems likely that the objective will change to Castleguard due to Icefield conditions. Final decision to be made next week.
This mentorship event is part of the AMP (Alpine
Mentorship Program) organized by ACC Calgary
jointly with ACMG Guide Brent Peters.
Mt Columbia is the highest peak in Alberta, and
second highest in the Canadian Rockies at 3747m.
With correct conditions, we’ll summit Columbia on
day 2, Snow Dome on day 3 followed by ski out.
Ski touring, winter camping, glacier travel, route
finding, ice axe/crampon ascent of 40+ deg east
face. Participants will take turns leading various
legs of the trip. Evenings will include route
review and planning for the next day.
Cost: $347 includes the guide’s day rate. Please
note this is a self-catered event but
catering is available from PeakEats at an
Prerequisites: AST 1, crevasse rescue,
intermediate to advanced level of fitness allowing
you to move through mountain terrain, ability to
carry a 50 pound pack for 3 days with 1200m
elevation gain per day, ability to confidently ski
in the backcountry in all weather conditions.
Gear list to be supplied prior to the trip. Winter
camping experience optional.
The objective is clearly dependent on the weather
and avi conditions. The trip will not be
cancelled, but the objective/location may be
Friday, May 11 – Big Day. Early start from Calgary
to meet at Brent’s in Canmore. Then drive to
Athabasca and ascend to the Trench, set up camp.
Saturday May 12 – Mt Columba.
Sunday May 13 – Additional objectives
(Snowdome/Castleguard) or skills practice. Descent
and return to Calgary!
Send an email with your
experience to Brad Bowyer - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you have been accepted
you will be required to pay within 48 hours via
an e-Transfer payment to the Treasurer. Also send
to the treasurer the following information: Name,
including postal code, phone number, email,
course/event title and date, Trip
Leader/Coordinator, and the password to accept
payment. Once I have
confirmation from you that you have
paid, I will move you from the
waiting to the attendee list.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review our participant responsibility guidelines!
There will be no refunds for this event unless a
suitable replacement is found that has been
accepted by the event organizer.
*Cancellation Policy*: If a participant is unable to attend a paid course or trip, there will be no refund unless the participant finds a suitable replacement that is acceptable to the trip coordinator. Acceptable waiting list candidates will have priority. It will then be the participant's responsibility to recover funds from the replacement. If the coordinator cancels an event, participants get a refund (less any non-recoverable costs). Note that ACC National does not refund hut fees due to weather, delay, closures, or any other reasons. The Calgary Section of the ACC is a not for profit club and we only charge attendees what it costs us to provide courses or trips.
Trip Feedback If you have any feedback, positive or negative, concerning this trip or any other, we want to hear from you!
Click here to be directed to our "Contact Us" page and contact the appropriate Chair person or the Section Chair. This is also a simple way to make your section executive aware of any praises, suggestions or problems you may have with any area of the Calgary Section of the ACC.
Thank you for your response.
Registration for this event closed on Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 05:00 PM.